OpenOffice 2.2 dies under XFCE 4.4

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Jun 14 03:25:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:13:52 +0200
"[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> wrote:

> Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > all of the sudden, i'm having problems with openoffice. I'm using 2.2, installed from packages downloaded from the official packager. The "time to crash" crash changes depending on what is done:
> >
> >   - Writer seems to work the longest (by a few seconds)
> >   - Calc dies right away
> >   - the common interface stays on until I open a menu (or close it, if opening didnt crash)... v strange.
> >
> > What may be :
> > Interestingly enough, if I run an XNest session from within my XFCE and log in as another user, also under xfce 4.4, it has no problems at all.
> > Same user, xfce4.4, default X server, OO dies.
> > My account using twm, works fine. (twm under xnest works fine too).
> > I haven't got another gnome-based WM at hand to test with.

[...]

> > So I guess I'm onto something...i just don't know what yet :-D
> >
> > I've done a full
> > ktrace -i openoffice.org-2.2.0
> > and dumped the text version of it at
> >
> > http://www.meijome.net/files/freebsd/oo_20070614
> >
> > (2 MB compressed, 8 MB uncompressed). OO is exiting with 0x4E , but i cant figure out what it means or what's causing it.
> >
> > Any clues, anyone? :)
> > thanks!!
>
> Try setting OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP to kde or none. This seems to be a GTK related issue.

Mate, thanks ! this solved the problem - the UI elements in OO have now lost their distinctive gtk theme look, but that's fine with me . I just wonder what has changed over the last few days in my machines to have this problem,after all this time with no issues at all.

thanks again :)
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"We must openly accept all ideologies and systems as  means of solving humanity's problems. One country, one nation, one ideology, one system is not sufficient."
   Dalai Lama.