FreeBSD box/ADSL link config

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jun 12 23:13:45 UTC 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>> Just a note of caution about this specific point, against an
>> admirable & detailed reply-- from what I understand from another
>> mailing list is that the newer versions of the Speedtouch DSL
>> modems  no longer have the capability of acting in "bridging" mode
>> and will  always run in the 1-to-1 NAT translation mode.
>
> Thanks Chuck, the Speedtouch I have has two modes PPPoE and RFC
> 1483, however, entering RFC 1483 mode it requested that I enter the
> public IP!?

I think that you need to enter that only if you actually have a
static IP, rather than a dynamically assigned IP via DHCP or PPPoE
negotiation.

If the USB modem device is actually running correctly in bridging
mode, ithen t doesn't need to have an IP assigned to it-- whatever
handles PPPoE, such as your FreeBSD box running ppp or something like
a Linksys/D-Link/etc broadband router, will get assigned an dynamic
publically-routable IP address.

Make sure you've set your MTU for that interface down to 1492 if you
are using PPPoE.

--
-Chuck