FreeBSD Mailing List

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Jun 12 15:49:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I seem to be having trouble with spam from your email servers - I have been
> receiving emails from your mailing list for some time now. The problem is
> that I do not want them, nor have I ever asked for them. Despite sending 4
> requests to the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the emails, I am STILL
> receiving them!

It may be that your are receiving the posts at a different address
than they are originally sent to from the list.  This would happen
if some Email address is forwarded to you and that forwarded address
is subscribed.   This could be done by accident - you or someone else
forgetting the forward or alias - or it could be done by someone
intentionally - they make a subscription and respond to the confirmation
at some address and then set up an alias or a forward to go to you.
Some even go as far as creating an 'alias include' list to resend
posts to a group of other people, either that they think will find
the posts useful or to annoy a group of people.   So, that is
probably what needs to be sorted out and tracked down.

Check your message headers carefully.  Although that is not
definitive, it might give you a clue as to the path the posts
are taking to get to you.   Then, that information can  be used
to find the subscription to be removed or alias to be broken.

> Please remove my address from this mailing list immediately.

That can only be done if the list manager can figure out which
actual Email address of the thousands subscribed is the one that
is causing the posts to be sent to you.   So, you will probably
need to help track it down.

////jerry