dhclient: Can't update forward map bogus ... timed out

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Mon Jun 11 19:06:34 UTC 2007

HI List Folk,

I recently added firewall filters to my home linux box, and now I am
experiencing named errors.  I am running DDNS that sends out updates for
my dynamically assigned IP address for the router/linux box at the edge
of my home network.  It appears that those updates periodically time
out.  I can telnet from the linux box to port 53 of the DNS server just
fine.

It appears that the logging on the server  side is not working as well.
  syslog is certainly running on the machine.  I have directory
permissions set correctly.

here is my configuration:

--- logging configuration ---

logging {
    channel simple_log {
        file "/var/log/named/bind.log" versions 3 size 5m;
        severity warning;
        print-time yes;
        print-severity yes;
        print-category yes;
    };
    category default{
        simple_log;
    };

    category dnssec   { security_log; };
    category update   { security_log; };
    category security { security_log; };

    channel security_log {
        file "/var/log/named/dns-security.log" versions 5 size 20m;
        print-time yes;
        print-category yes;
        print-severity yes;
        severity info;
    };
};

--- logging configuration ---

# ls -ld /var/log/named/
drwx------  2 bind  wheel  512 Jun 11 08:19 /var/log/named/
# ls -l /var/log/named/
total 0
ps -auxww | grep syslog
root   68320  0.0  0.0  1376   988  ??  Is    8:26AM   0:00.01
/usr/sbin/syslogd -l /var/run/log -l /var/named/var/run/log -s

dns server side system info
# pkg_info | grep bind
bind9-9.3.4         Completely new version of the BIND DNS suite with
updated D
FreeBSD-6.2

--- snip ---

Jun 11 07:17:10 hostname dhclient: Can't update forward map
bogus.domain.com. to 10.0.0.1: timed out

--- sinp ---