[FreeBSD][Newb] How I use sendmail to send mail?

Mats unix at comhem.se
Sun Jun 10 22:46:59 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 02:13:02PM -0700, Bjorn Boulder wrote:

> People,
>
> I need help with sendmail on my FreeBSD box running:
> FreeBSD 5.3
>
> Specifically, I need help using sendmail to send mail.
>
> I inherited this FreeBSD box from a guy who left for
> another gig.
>
> The box appears to be stable.  It's been up since Nov
> 2006
> and is running a couple of simple web sites.
>
> The web sites work okay.
>
> We want to put up a 3rd site which needs to send mail
> to people who register.
>
> I'm assuming that I need to get sendmail working.
>
> That is, I need it to send mail.
>
> It does not need to receive mail because we are using
> google apps to receive all of our mail from the
> outside.
>
> It was easy to setup:
>
> -Follow directions here: http://google.com/a/
> -Update the MX records for our domains
>
> When I try using sendmail I run this simple test:
>
> 1. create a text file, sendme.txt:
>
> From: bornboulder77 at yahoo.com
> Subject: test mail
> Hi Bjorn
> Bye Bjorn
>
> 2. Run shell command:
> /usr/sbin/sendmail bornboulder77 at yahoo.com <
> sendme.txt
>
> Result: The mail is not delivered.
>
> I'd welcome any tips for configuring sendmail to send
> mail.

Is it so that you haven't set up your sendmail to deliver outside
your network? You need to change some things in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf in
that case. You probably have a qualyfied domainname? But before I write
a long description how to do it, can you tell a little more? Does it deliver
localy?

/Mats