fbsd 6.2 pf starts -- but not on boot

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Jun 8 15:24:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 20:31:59 -0700
snowcrash+freebsd <schneecrash+freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> > Have you any particular reason to think that this is really a
> > problem? Given that /etc/rc.d/ppp automatically reloads the pf
> > rules after the tun device is created.
>
> though the prob's been fixed, just to ack/comment ... the issue 4 me
> was that pf itself was not starting, not that it had started but the
> rules were not loaded, or some such ...

Reloading the rules is supposed to allow pf to pick-up new interfaces,
which is why it's done after ppp is started. I was wondering if Volker
had a valid reason for thinking there is a problem, or whether he
was speculating from incomplete knowledge.

As regards pf not starting, in another sub-thread you seem to be
saying that the underlying problem was an irregularity in ppp.conf.
ppp.conf is not read until *after* pf starts-up, so can't explain
pf's not starting.