Updating system GCC

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 8 14:20:39 UTC 2007

Gerard escribió:
> I noticed this on the FreeBSD site regarding the latest version of
> JAVA:
>
> January 24, 2007: Greg Lewis has released the fourth patchset
> (patchlevel 4, "Sumatran") for the JDK 1.5.0 software. This release
> builds with GCC 4 and includes a number of bug fixes.
>
> FreeBSD-6.2 does not come with GCC 4 or newer. While it is relatively
> trivial to install it manually, it then is necessary to make changes
> to the system /etc/make.conf file to insure its use. Wouldn't it be
> more efficient for the FreeBSD team to integrate GCC 4.3 (I think that
> is the latest stable version) into the base system? From what I have
> read, this latest version has some major improvements over its
> predecessors.

Hello Gerard,

the workaround you wrote is not necessary, the Ports Collection
infrastructure is aware of the necessay GCC version, via the USE_GCC
macro. The java/jdk15 port should just be built without problems.

As for the GCC import, the upcoming 7.X will ship with GCC 4.2. Afaik,
4.3 is not a stable version yet. For older releases it is not supposed
to merging such big changes from -CURRENT, like a system compiler
change. Such needs a lot of testing and anyway, we want to have those
branches clean and stable.

Regards,

--
Gabor Kovesdan