detect stderr writes when combined

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Jun 8 13:00:15 UTC 2007

This is possibly a stupid question, but I would like to have a particular sh
script stdout and stderr combined, but at least detect when stderr has been used.

In particular for my cron scripts it seems that error messages get wrapped up
and emailed, but they are then out of context with the normal informative
output. If I could have the combined output go to my logs in the normal way and
detect that some error output had occurred I could then email the whole cron output.

I'm fairly sure this is doable with some C, but is there an easier way?
--
Robin Becker