Virtualization of FreeBSD

r17fbsd at xxiii.com r17fbsd at xxiii.com
Thu Jun 7 04:11:24 UTC 2007

At 07:45 PM 6/6/2007, Sean Murphy wrote:
>Is anyone running virtualization of FreeBSD servers on VMware or
>other virtualization software?  What experiences have you had, good or bad?

Been wanting to ask the same...  I've heard of virt' software for
some time but didn't realize what it could really do.  Then on a tip,
I started playing with micros$$ts Virtual PC a couple weeks
ago.  Wow!  It runs windoze 2000 and FreeBSD apparently fine on a
windoze 2000 host.  In the last couple weeks I've been doing a lot of
experimentation with FreeBSD and Samba and windoze that I've been
procrastinating about for lack of a spare box to run things on.  Very
impressive for free stuff from the evil empire :)

But from what I've heard, VMware has better performance.  And there
are some things in ports (qemu?) also.  For my purposes Billy's
product is working well, but I'd like to hear of better things, esp
those that run on windoze, which I'm stuck with for my desktop boxen.

   -RW