Seeking recommendation for anti-spam software

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Wed Jun 6 18:22:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:15:09PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 12:00:59PM -0400, Richard Coleman wrote:
> >  I am running a mail server using Postfix and Dovecot.  I would like to hear
> >  people's recommendation for which port to use to add server side anti-spam.
> >  The problem these days is a richness of choices, so it's hard to know port
> >  which to try.
> >
> >  And call it a quirk of mine, but I really dislike (server) software
> >  with a large number of dependencies.  That rules out Spam Assassin.
> >  But I am fairly conversant with mail and Postfix/Dovecot in
> >  general, so I don't mind any integration work.
>
> Bogofilter works very well, after you've trained it with some spam &
> ham. You can get a head start by starting from someone else's wordlist.

Yes, works very well for me too. Am running it in parallel with other
spam filters and find if I was to have only one spam filter it would be
bogofilter. Found SpamAssassin to be very resource intensive and its
processing (lookup time) slow.

Bogofilter is lean and effective. Only negative is that it needs to be
trained.

> But I'm running it from procmail on my mail only.  I've never bothered
> to integrate it into postfix.

Would be very handy if someone were to make a port of scripts with
something like ADD_SPAM, NOT_SPAM, and SPAM folders under IMAP to drive
bogofilter remotely from an email client. Train as spam messages placed
in ADD_SPAM and then move them into something like ADDED_SPAM. Have
bogofilter place found spam in SPAM, user puts falses in NOT_SPAM.
Scripts train bogofilter on contents of NOT_SPAM and put in something
like NOT_SPAMMED. Users may clean out SPAM, ADDED_SPAM, and NOT_SPAMMED
as they fill. The point is to never throw anything away with the
scripts.

Then on top of that one ought to have some means of global spam filter
database in addition to per-user databases.

This is such a good idea am sure somebody has done it already, I just
don't know where.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net