How to solve mysterious system lockups?

WorldLink Management management at wlink.com.np
Wed Jun 6 09:41:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
"N. Harrington" <drumslayer2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello
>   I have several systems that are used as squid
> caching servers. I have some systems that use SCSI
> disks and some  that use SATA disks. They are
> identical in everyway except for the sata vs SCSI
> drives.
>
>  At random times, the sata based systems seem to be
> freezing. You can ping them and they respond, but you
> cannot log in. Nor are any logs processed during that
> time.
>
>  I figure it mist be something to do with the disks,
> but I am not sure how to solve it. There seems to be
> little rhyme or reason. It does not happen necessarily
> during busy times. It can happen in the middle of the
> night.
>
>  Any pointers in how to track down the cause would be
> much appreciated.
>
>  Tyan S2881 Motherboard - 4gigs mem
>  Using 4 SATA (or scsi) drives
>  FreeBSD amd64 6.2-STABLE.

Hi Nicole,

I was also having system lockup problems with my FreeBSD-6.x servers running Squid with SATA disks. I could ping it but could not login using SSH.

However, in my case, it was due to high mbufs usage.

What's your output of the following commands?

netstat -mb
sysctl kern.ipc.nmbclusters

Thanking you...