New != Faster

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue Jun 5 03:37:10 UTC 2007

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:

>> It will be of academic interest to me to see how people respond to this.
>> Unfortunately - as documented in my original post - the 4.11 CD will
>> not even boot on this new motherboard for some reason.  Given that, and
>> that 4.x is no longer actively developed, I am forced to move to 6.x for
>> my next server ...

> Most likely because of the evolution of the FreeBSD kernel and increased
> hardware support over time. A lot of CDs won't boot on my C2D system,
> but that's because the HW is too new to run with older CDs, similar to
> issues seen with other OSes like Linux and Windoze.
> -Garrett

This is, of course, the normal order of technology progress.  It just seems
odd to me that the 4.11 CD is blowing up claiming an RTC error
on a new mobo.  I'd understand if it failed because it could
not recognize the processor, or the Northbridge/Southbridge hardware,
but I'm guessing that not a lot has changed with RTC hardware.  Then
again, this error could be an artifact of some other silent problem.

In any case, I am working on recreating my (rather complex) standard
server configuration on 6.2 ... it was time anyway.  I will miss 4.x,
however.  It has been rock solid with nary a blip for many years
now (as was 2.x and 3.x before it).

Maybe I'm just getting old ;)

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com