Disable CTRL+ALT+DELETE

Kenneth Bond bondka at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:51:19 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding disabling the CTRL+ALT+DELETE
keystroke sequence used to reboot a system.

I understand that you are able to add the following option to the
kernel config file and rebuild the kernel:

options SC_DISABLE_REBOOT

What I'd like to confirm is whether or not using a keymap file and
changing the "boot" entries to "nop", and then loading it on each boot
through /etc/rc.conf (KEYMAP = "/usr/share/syscons/keymap/keymap.kbd")
is a viable, secure alternative for disabling the CTRL+ALT+DELETE
keystroke sequence.

I know it was commonly used with older FreeBSD releases, but I'm not
sure whether it is recommended with newer releases.

Please advise.

Thanks!