Flatbed scanners for FreeBSD

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jun 2 22:45:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Andrew Falanga wrote:

> What scanners are best used with FreeBSD?  I'm hoping for one that I
> can use in both Windoze and FreeBSD.  Preferably, one that is USB.
> I've never configured a scanner for FreeBSD before and would like
> recommendations on hardware before purchasing.

The best supported are those recognized by uscanner.  'man uscanner' or
look at /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/uscanner.c to see the list.

Also look at

http://www.sane-project.org

to see which are the easiest to use (status "Good" or "Complete", no
firmware downloads needed).

Really, picking a scanner is tough.  Finding ones that are supported is
tricky enough.  Finding one that isn't terribly slow is worse, since the
manufacturers often don't provide benchmarks.

I have an Epson 1640SU which works great.  Recommended, if you can find
one.