Flashplugin problem after xorg 7.2 upgrade

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Sat Jun 2 02:35:37 UTC 2007

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 04:13:59 +0300
Ozan Enginoglu <ozanenginoglu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply,

Sure!

> On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 02:01 +0200, Nikola Lecic wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 02:00:44 +0300
> > Ozan Enginoglu <ozanenginoglu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > After i upgrated to xorg 7.2 i had firefox core-dump problem. It
> > > used to crast when i enter a site with a lot of flash plugin. And
> > > it uses a lot of CPU power!
> > >
> > > I removed  flash plugin libs from /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
> > > and plugins directory of firefox. Now i can surf without any
> > > core-dump error.
> > >
> > > when i try to reinstall flashplugin, firefox cant succedd to run
> > > them.
> > >
> > > What should i do? Any suggestions?
> >
> > What flashplugin and wrapper do you use? If you use
> > linux-flashplugin-7.0r69 with nspluginwrapper (you probably do, with
> > native Firefox), you might need the following after Xorg upgrade:
> >
> >   %ln -s ~/.mozilla/plugins ~/.mozilla/firefox/plugins
> >
> > That works for me. Before that you can of course consider to
> > re-create nspluginwrapper's files, like this:
> >
> >   %nspluginwrapper -v -a -r      (remove old wrapper files)
> >   %nspluginwrapper -v -a -i      (install all available plugins)
> >
> > Then check with about:plugins if all of them are recognised by
> > Firefox.
> >
> > Nikola Lečić
>

> As a matter of fact, i used to play flash files without
> nspluginwrapper. Of course that was before upgrading. Now i installed
> it and did as you wrote above.

You can't use linux plugins with native FreeBSD apps without some
sort of wrapper.

> I got another core dump error. Here is the output:
>
>         root at laptop[0]:/usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper# nspluginwrapper
>         -v -a -i
>         Auto-install plugins from /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>         Looking for plugins in /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>         Auto-install plugins from /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/plugins
>         Looking for plugins in /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/plugins
>         Auto-install plugins
> from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin Looking for plugins
> in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin Install
>         plugin /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>
>         into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>         Auto-install plugins
>         from /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux
>         Looking for plugins
>         in /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux
>         Install
>         plugin /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
>         Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)

No, nspluginwrapper runs on a per-user basis, you should run it as an
ordinary user. Step-by-step:

(1) Make sure you didn't do any handiwork
in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins. Just make sure Firefox is aware of
installed plugins (use about:plugins), add a symlink if necessary,
but don't move or delete anything. If not sure, reinstall plugin ports.

(2) You must have the following packages installed:

  firefox-2.0.0.3_1,1
  nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.4_1
  linux-flashplugin-7.0r69

Make sure you _don't_ have linuxpluginwrapper installed as it can
collide with nspluginwrapper. Also, uninstall all other flash players
to make situation easier.

(3) Then, run 'nspluginwrapper -a -i -r' to clean old files (if any) and
'nspluginwrapper -a -i -v' as the user who uses Firefox. Then, list
what is installed. On my box:

  %nspluginwrapper -l
  /home/nikola/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    Original plugin:
            /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
    Wrapper version string: 0.9.91.4
  /home/nikola/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.nphelix.so
    Original plugin: /usr/X11R6/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so
    Wrapper version string: 0.9.91.4
  /home/nikola/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.nppdf.so
    Original plugin:
            /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    Wrapper version string: 0.9.91.4

Of course, no seg fault should happen. If it does, that might be
another problem, not related to flash player.

I also have to add a symlink in ~/.mozilla after Xorg upgrade, as I
desribed in my previous mail. Actually, I have two of them, like this:

  %ll ~/.mozilla/firefox
  total 18
  drwx------  10 nikola  nyx   1024 Jun  2 04:11 jazuhv63.default
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 nikola  nyx     16 May 27 03:41 pluginreg.dat
                                                   -> ../pluginreg.dat
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 nikola  nyx     10 May 27 03:41 plugins -> ../plugins
  -rw-r--r--   1 nikola  nyx     94 Feb 23 20:11 profiles.ini

(4) Restart Firefox. In about:plugins page this entry should appear:

  Shockwave Flash
  Nom de fichier : npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
  Shockwave Flash 7.0 r69

(5) Open YouTube and enjoy.

> My firefox runs very normal right now but npwiever.bin uses a lot of
> cpu. Is it normal?

How much? On my box <25%, and works smoothly. Maybe someone else can
confirm.

> And is there any way to play flash files without using
> "nspluginwrapper"?

Only in linux versions (linux-opera, linux-firefox...). There is no way
to use linux flashplugin in native browsers without a wrapper.

Nikola Lečić