trouble with samba

Grant groups at 0x12.com
Fri Jun 1 22:23:19 UTC 2007

Reid Linnemann wrote:
> Written by Thanos Rizoulis on 06/01/07 15:57>>
>> O/H Reid Linnemann έγραψε:
>>>
>>> The order in rc.conf makes no difference, the order of rc file
>>> execution  is determined by rcorder(8).
>>
>> It is nice to learn a new thing every day, thank you!
>>
>> So this goes deeper than I originally thought. Looking at my
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba I see that:
>>
>> # PROVIDE: nmbd smbd
>> # REQUIRE: NETWORKING SERVERS DAEMON ldconfig resolv
>> # BEFORE: LOGIN
>> # KEYWORD: shutdown
>>
>> ...so probably some of the services in the REQUIRE line are slow to
>> start for our friends' machines and samba detects this and exits with
>> Signal 6.
>> This is well beyond my skills already. I am merely speculating here,
>> someone with greater experience should probably look into this.
>>

> I'd suggest adding 'cupsd' to the 'REQUIRE' list. This will ensure
> that cupsd i started prior to samba.
Hi,

I dont think that it is related to cupsd, the reason i say this is that
i have the exact same problem, but my samba was built *without* cups.

I havnt touched my rc.conf since it was put in place a few months ago
(when it worked fine), so something have changed in samba or something
is broken in samba which is causing these problems ? i'm not running the
most current version, currently 6.2-RELEASE-p3, but samba is the latest
version (samba-3.0.25,1)

Thanks.
Grant.