Accessibility hardware for the blind

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Jun 1 07:04:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:21:58 -0400
Tim Kellers <timothyk at wallnet.com> wrote:

> I need to know if an audio solution exists (in hardware or software)
> that will speak monitor output.  I need something that will work
> independently of X windows.  I've tried using gnopernicus in both KDE
> and Gnome and I've never gotten  its audio component to work. I can turn
> on KDE's talking tools, but it only speaks commands and entered text in
> specific applications (like Koffice).  I need a screen reader that will
> speak the entire screen (and terminal windows).
>
> I haven't found a software solution that addresses all the needs of a
> spoken command line environment so I'm looking for a hardware solution
> (appliance or device) that will speak the screen, but I haven't found
> one, yet.
[...]
Hi Tim,
I'm always surprised by the seemingly void for this kind of support in OSS. It's
not an easy thing to do, and possibly there is a lack of standards (what with
all the different X toolkits,etc...)...

There seems to be a FFox extension to read the pages, Fire Fox,
http://www.firevox.clcworld.net/ , which may good enough for webmin.

You may want to check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_reader and, possibly
more to the point, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers

Let us know what you come up with :)

Regards,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"We must openly accept all ideologies and systems as  means of solving
humanity's problems. One country, one nation, one ideology, one system is not
sufficient." Dalai Lama.

Warned.