relaying mail

Christopher Cowart ccowart at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 31 22:19:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 08:03:50PM +0200, Michael Grant wrote:
> In one of my domains, I have the MX record for it set up to my server.
>  But for one of the users within that domain, their mail needs to be
> shuffled off to a different server at google.  But I can't just
> forward it because it's like an MX host I'd need to forward it to.
> And I can't alter the MX to point to google for the entire domain
> because it's only one user within that domain, the other users will be
> screwed in that case.
>
> For example, mydomain.com, let's say the mx for that comes to my box.
> For joe at mydomain.com, I need to send his mail to ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM as
> if it were the MX for mydomain.com.
>
> In the old days, one would simply forward email to
> joe%mydomain.com at ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.  That would cause mydomain.com's
> sendmail to connect to ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM and shove down a message for
> joe at mydomain.com.  But that seems long deprecated because it didn't
> seem to work.
>
> I am using sendmail and procmail.  Can anyone think of some way I can
> cause something like this to happen for just one user, ideally in a
> .procmailrc file?

We use postfix and transport maps to accomplish this for internal mail
routing (bugzilla and RT messages go to an internal web server, user
messages to our internal mailserver).

The map would look something like:
joe at mydomain.com    smtp:[ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM]
mydomain.com        local

I don't know how to accomplish similar routing with sendmail.

In order to solve this completely at the user level, you could write a
little bit of perl that opens an SMTP connection to the server of your
choosing. You could then use .forward or .procmailrc or whatever to pipe
the incoming messages to this script.

Good luck,

--
Chris Cowart