Installation problem

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Tue Jul 31 04:31:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, illoai at gmail.com wrote:

> On 30/07/07, Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh at rakhesh.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Terrence Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install FreeBSD as part of a dual boot config on a hard
>>> disk which already contains Windows XP. I have created a partition for
>>> FreeBSD. My problem comes once I "commit" to the installation of
>>> FreeBSD. I get the following message, after which installation aborts:
>>> "Unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s2b in /dev! The creation of
>>> filesystems will be aborted." What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Are you trying to install FreeBSD in an extended partition? The
>> /dev/ad*4*s2b makes me think so ...
>
> /dev/ad4 is probably his first SATA drive, the integer
> following "s" is the slice number (partition in the magical
> windows world) and if greater than 4 indicates an extended
> slice.

I thought /dev/ad4s2b meant the 5th disk (since its ad4; ad0-ad3 being 1st
to 4th disks), 2nd slice (s2), and second partition in that slice (b). Do
SATA drives too come up as "ad" devices? I don't have experience with SATA
drives, so don't know ... I know my IDE drives come up as "ad" and so
would assume SATA will come up with a different name.

Regards,
Rakhesh