FQDN Hostnames, Sendmail and Spamassassin.

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon Jul 30 23:52:25 UTC 2007

I have my hostname in rc.conf defined as a FQDN - ending in a dot. IIRC
it's needed to prevent sendmail waiting a long time for DNS if the
network is unavailable at boot-time.

I recently noticed that when I send myself email through sendmail I'm
hitting this spamassassin test at my email service:

2.3 FH_HELO_ENDS_DOT       Helo ends with a dot

It doesn't actually matter to me, because I don't use sendmail much,
but what are the rights and wrongs of this? I was under the impression
that any name used in an helo/ehlo should be a FQDN.