network/multithreaded programming on FreeBSD

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Mon Jul 30 22:21:00 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007, Michael S wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I am not sure this is the correct list for my
> question, I am still going to ask though.
> I am a 3rd year computer science student and in the
> fall I am going to be taking courses in network and
> system programming (with pthread). As a lot of
> universities do, mine also teaches these courses on
> Linux. I was wondering if there was a lot of
> difference in socket and multi-threaded programming
> between Linux and FreeBSD?
Hello,

Pthreads is a standardized interface available on both Linux and FreeBSD, so
there should not be any differences between them. Likewise for sockets. The
only really minor difference I can think of right now is the sa_len member of
struct sockaddr which is available on FreeBSD but not on Linux.

The cool thing about FreeBSD is that everything you need to program is already
installed :)

Cheers,

Pieter de Goeje