secondary hdd

Rolf G Nielsen lazlar at lazlarlyricon.com
Mon Jul 30 21:14:34 UTC 2007

Cyrus wrote:
> ok, i origainly had windows xp pro on my machine, i installed freebsd 6.2.
> my machine has a 40gb seagate disk for o/s, and a 160 gb WD disk for
> storage.
>
> my question is, how do i go about formating the 160 gb, from ntfs to ufs for
> use in freebsd?  and make it automount when system boots?
>
> Thank you
> Cyrus

The simplest way if you're new to FreeBSD would be to use sysinstall.
Just type sysinstall at the promt in the console. In the menu select
Configure, then Fdisk. If you know the device name of the disk in
question, you need only select that one in the list that shows up,
otherwise select all. You will now see a screen with info about the each
disk you selected, one at a time. For the disk(s) you do not want to
change, just hit ESC and select None in the list that appears. When you
come to the disk you want to use as secondary, select the slices one by
one and press D for each one. When all slices have been deleted, just
press A, then W.
When you're done, go back to the main menu and select Label. Then you
will see a screen with all the slices you configured, and available
space in each one. Select the one in the secondary disc and press C to
create a partition. You'll be asked to enter the desired size of the new
partition, and if you want just one partition on the entire disk, just
press enter. If you want more than one partition, repeat this until
you're satisfied, then make a note the device name(s) created (for
instance ad1s1e) and press W. The partition(s) will be formated.
I don't think this will make the disk automount, so you'll have to edit
your /etc/fstab file, which contains info on all the filesystems to be
mounted on boot, one line per entry. This is what an fstab entry looks like

/dev/ad1s1e  /usr   ufs    rw    2    2

First is the file system's device node, then under what directory you
want it to be mounted, third is the filesystem type (should be ufs for
native FreeBSD partitions), fourth is options (rw means read/write, see
man fstab for other options). The last two columns should be set to 2,
except for the root filesystem (should be 1) and swap, procfs and other
specialities (should be 0). Once you're done, save the file and reboot,
and you're disc should be automatically mounted.

--

Vänligen / Sincerly,
Rolf Nielsen