Heimdal/kerberos and DNS?

Reuben A. Popp rapopp at eastcentral.edu
Mon Jul 30 18:53:43 UTC 2007

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm trying to setup a testbed here for a Kerberos server so that XP clients
can authenticate.  I have been following the handbook for the server
configuration and a few other sources for configuring XP as the client.  So
far I have had good success as I can see the request for a ticket and can
login just fine.  However, right after logging into the XP client, I see the
following in the logfile for Kerberos (/var/heimdal/krb.log):

2007-07-30T12:51:12 Server not found in database:
DNS/xxxx.EASTCENTRAL.EDU at EASTCENTRAL.EDU: No such entry in the database

Can someone please explain this to me?  I can resolve the nameserver just
fine, whether through nslookup or by consulting the hosts file.  Do I need to
add an entry for the nameserver using kadmin as well?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Reuben A. Popp

--
Reuben A. Popp