Downgrading from current

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Mon Jul 30 06:05:22 UTC 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Ross Penner wrote:
> I have a lot of data on my /usr partition that I would rather not have to
> backup and then readd to the system. is there a way I can reinstall and
> leave parts of the file system intact? I assume that I can use the same
> partitions but I'm worried that reinstalling will clean the partitions.

As long as your /usr is on a separate partition, you can choose to mount
it at some other point and not format while re-installing FreeBSD. I don't
recollect the exact steps off-hand, but I remember there being a "Toggle
NewFS" or something like that option on the screen where you make
partitions. Just toggle it off and the partition won't get formatted.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Rakhesh