USB Mouse not Working

Adam J Richardson fatman.uk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 14:58:47 UTC 2007

<snip>

>>> I beleive in the past I have checked with
>>> #cat /dev/ums0
>>> and if things are working corectly, cat display binary garbage on the
screen when you wiggle the mouse.  Try this after killing moused (moused
makes ums0 unavailable).

>> Perhaps the mouse is dead or dying? Mine keeps its USB cable on a
>> little spindle, and to unreel the cable you have to tug on the cable.
>> Not the best design since the cable is very thin and has taken damage
>> over time.
>>
>> Adam J Richardson
>
> The mouse is working well on another system.  Did you try my little
> experiment?
>
> Chris Maness

Trying it in a terminal under xfce4 and substituting /dev/sysmouse
produces a torrent of spaces characters. I'm currently using a PS/2
mouse [ie. the "tit" mouse on an old laptop].

$ sudo cat /dev/sysmouse

Perhaps the xfce4 terminal translates the garbage into spaces.

Adam J Richardson