oops, what have i done!

Adam J Richardson fatman.uk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 14:12:11 UTC 2007

Pollywog wrote:
> On Saturday 28 July 2007 20:23:16 Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
>> Short answer:  It is perfectly normal.  Don't worry.
>>
>> Longer answer:
>>
>> The reason you have all of them installed is that some ports need one of
>> them, and others need another one etc.
>> It is perfectly safe to have all of them installed at the same time.
>>
>> You can delete any or all of them if you wish, but don't be surprised if
>> they get pulled in again by one port or another.
>
> In Linux, I occasionally have compiling problems when I have two versions of
> automake installed.  Removing the ones that are not needed fixes the problem.

I usually delete the older one[s] if I see duplicates in my portversion
list, and let the resultant "stale links" [if any] resolve themselves to
point at the latest version. That shouldn't be dangerous, right? I find
portsdb generally does the Right Thing.

I don't think it's caused me any problems [yet].

Adam J Richardson