emacs22 and portsdb

Duane Winner dwinner at dwinner.net
Fri Jul 27 19:51:27 UTC 2007

Hello,

We've been having a problem with generating the ports Index ever since
upgrading to emacs22.

As per /usr/ports/UPDATING, we added EMACS_PORT_NAME=*emacs22* to
/etc/make.conf

Everything went fine. Now running emacs22.

But ever since, our daily routine of cvsup'ing and portsdb -Uu has gone
south, first with this error:

    lsdb-*emacs22*-0.10_1: "/usr/ports/editors/flim-*emacs22*"
non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
    ===> devel/lsdb failed
    *** Error code 1
    1 error

and now today this:

    Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please
wait..eieio-emacs22-0.17_2: "/usr/ports/editors/speedbar-emacs22"
non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
    ===> devel/eieio failed
    *** Error code 1
    1 error

    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports.
    failed to generate INDEX!

Perhaps we should be doing a "portsdb -Fu" instead of "-Uu"? (that works
when I tried it)

I'm not sure, because according to the portsdb manpage,

    "If you define special macros in /etc/make.conf and the
    dependency of some ports are changed, you should create
    INDEX by yourself by using this option. Otherwise, using
    -F option is recommended since it is much faster."

but we do have that "EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22" in /etc/make.conf, so I'm
not sure.

We are also not sure what the implications are of doing a "portupgrade
-a" or "portinstall" after after a failed portsdb. Some of our ports are
getting out of date, and we're not sure what to do.

Also, I'm not sure if "EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22" even needs to stay in
/etc/make.conf after upgrading. I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD a
new server yesterday, and emacs22 was installed by default when I did my
"portinstall emacs" anyway, so is there any sense in keeping it in
make.conf on boxes where I've upgraded?

On one test machine, I took that line out /etc/make.conf, and portsdb
-Uu works again, so any guidance on this topic would also be appreciated.

Thank you,
DW