SATA 300 Drive Being Run At 150

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 26 17:14:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:55:48AM -0300, Eduardo Meyer wrote:
>  I have the same situation here, but not the same hardware:
>
>  atapci0: <Intel ICH7 SATA300 controller> port
>  0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0x3020-0x302f mem
>  0xe8200000-0xe82003ff irq 19 at device 31.2 on pci0
>
>  ad0: 76319MB <SAMSUNG HD080HJ ZH100-47> at ata0-master SATA150
>
>  This drive is withtout the jumper, which according to the manual means
>  it should operate as SATA300 (while with jumper plugged, it is limited
>  to SATA150). But it is only controlled as SATA150.

A few things (I'm not doubting your claim of a problem, just trying to
track it down):

1) What FreeBSD version and build date?  uname -a would suffice.

2) What controller (atapciX) is mapped to ata0?  You didn't include this
in your dmesg output.

3) Output of atacontrol cap ad0?

4) Is your motherboard set to use AHCI for the SATA (ICH7) controller?
There's reports that SATA300 is only available/used on some controllers
when AHCI is used.

5) This drive isn't available in the United States, so I'll have to go
off of foreign docs.  AUS docs don't show this drive as having any such
jumper, but the docs are sparse:

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select.aspx?type=Hard+Disk+Drive&typecode=12&subtype=HDD%283%2E5%29&cmssubtypecode=1203&model=HD080HJ&filetype=UM

6) Have you tried following the opposite the documentation you have
recommends?  That is: try putting the jumper on and see if SATA300
is negotiated?  Or is it SATA150 regardless of the jumper setting?

7) Another FreeBSD user using this drive does in fact see SATA300
negotiated speed from it when using an nForce MCP55 SATA300 controller.

I'm left wondering if there's actually two revisions of this drive
floating around on the market; an older one that only supports SATA150,
and a newer that supports SATA300.