fsck to fix HD problem

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 06:01:30 UTC 2007

On 25/07/07, Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew at szalbot.homedns.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >> so I decided to use fsck to check my HD. I ran it
> >> in the foreground mode with the -y flag. It gives me the below
> >> information. My question is - should I worry (it is more a home machine
> >> than a real server) and if yes, how can I fix the problem?
> > . . .
> >
> > To do anything more than merely report problems
> > you should drop into single-user mode, unmount
> > everything except root (hopefully.  If it gets angry,
> > reboot into single-user mode.) and run fsck (as is
> > or with the -y flag if you feel daring.) on the filesystems
> > in question.
>
> Is the single-user mode necessary. As it is a family machine I know when I
> am the only one using it.

Well, fsck-ing /var on a fully multiuser system is
hairy, at best, since /var is almost always being
written to by something or other.  Single user
mode is the simplest way of dealing with this, since
none of the logging, mail, or one of any of a 10^4
daemons will be trying to write to it, while you're
trying to fix it.

With mysql, I would assume* many of the same
problems with /usr (or /usr/local, if that is its own
filesystem).

*given that I know meow-all about mysql: where
it may wish to write, or what horrible perversions
it commits while running.