Root access loggin

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Jul 24 20:23:53 UTC 2007

wrote:

> [...]
You seem to have a mistaken understanding of sudo.  You can grant them
access to everything that root has simply by adding their account to the
wheel group and using visudo to grant wheel access to everything that root
has access to.  You can do this with or without a requirement to type your
password when you use sudo.

This will allow them to do everything they want while logging every command
they type.  And that seems to be exactly what you want.  So, rather than
giving them the root password, create an account for them, add it to the
wheel group and use visudo to edit /usr/local/etc/sudoers to grant wheel
access to everything.  (DO NOT edit the file with vi!)

To add the wheel group to a user:
pw usermod username -G wheel

Granting access to wheel should be self-explanatory:

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL
# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

That way everything they do is logged, and you don't have to compromise
your root password.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst