max resolution with vesa driver on amd64 system running FreeBSD 6.2

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 14:09:50 UTC 2007

Florent Thoumie <flz at FreeBSD.org> wrote:  Yuri Pankov wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 02:21:09AM -0700, Dino Vliet wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm having problems with my monitor on freebsd. The vesa driver uses 1024X768 while the monitor is capable of doing 1680x1050.
>>
>> Observed here as well:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/5801
>>
>> Using the nv driver is no option because it freezes my system and I have to turn the power down to start booting the system again.
>>
>> Am I in a problematic situation now because:
>>
>> 1) Vesa isn't capable of using higher resolutions?
>> 2) I can use NV because the driver isn't ok on my amd64 system
>> 3) Nvidia doesn't provide a FreeBSD version of their nvidia driver on AMD64 based systems?
>>
>> Brgds
>>

> Not an answer you want but.. Try using xf86-video-nv 2.1.2 (as opposed
> to 1.2.2.1, which is in ports now). All you need to do is change
> PORTVERSION to 2.1.2 in x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv/Makefile, delete
> distinfo and `make fetch makesum install'.

No need to change the Makefile anymore, it's in ports.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org

I already have it installed and I updated it today. Will try to change it to nv iso vesa driver and see what's happening. I knew my whole desktop was freezing when I used the nv driver together with the geforce 6200 GPU on my amd64 system. Will look if I don't get these anymore.

Thanks

  Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.   Unfortunately there was no improvement in this driver (nv) and I'm still experiencing stability problems when using it. The whole system freezes and the only options I have are:

  1) remotely log into machine
  2) pull the electricity cable from the pc because he even doesn't react on the ctrl-alt-del combination

  Brgds