pf and keep/modulate state on 6.2

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sat Jul 21 13:08:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:29:53 -0500
JD Bronson <jbronson at sixcompanies.com> wrote:

> thanks for the update on this. I had forgot about it since I just
> stopped using modulate state (is it really needed anymore?).
>
> Then, the beginning of this month I moved my firewall/router back
> over to OpenBSD 4.1 to stay more current with pf instead of running
> -CURRENT within FreebSD.
>
> This fix really should be incorporated into 6.2-STABLE or even
> 6.2-STANDARD I think. I wonder how many people use this and don't
> even know its messed up?

I think it depends what percentage of people see connections actually
petering-out to nothing, like I did, rather that just slowing down.

What I'm wondering is how many more serious bugs have been fixed in
OpenBSD, but not ported. As well as modulate state, I also stopped
using hfsc because ping-times sometimes just seem to jump-up to several
seconds and stay there.