Postfix not forwarding mail to primary domain

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Fri Jul 20 05:50:36 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 July 2007, Darrell Betts wrote:
> I recently put a second email server online and made that the main
> email server. I made the other one a backup server. Both are
> running FreeBSD 6.2 and Postfix. My main server went down and the
> backup server collected all the mail. When the main came online the
> backup has not forwarded the mail from the backup server to the
> main server. I have even tried the flush command. What could be
> wrong. I will include my postconf file.
>
> canonical_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/canonical_maps
> command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
> config_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
> content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
> daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
> debug_peer_level = 2
> header_checks = regexp:/usr/local/etc/postfix/header_checks
> html_directory = no
> mail_owner = postfix
> mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
> manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
> $mydomain, mydomain = XXX.com
> myhostname = XXX.XXX.com
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8,76.215.134.134
> mynetworks_style = host
> newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
> queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
> readme_directory = no
> relay_domains = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/relay_domains
> relay_recipient_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
> sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
> sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
> setgid_group = maildrop
> smtpd_client_restrictions = check_client_access
> cidr:/usr/local/etc/postfix/sinokorea.cidr   permit
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
> reject_non_fqdn_recipient,  reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
> permit_mynetworks,  permit_sasl_authenticated,
> reject_unauth_destination,  reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
> reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org  check_policy_service
> inet:127.0.0.1:10023
> virtual_alias_domains = XXXX.com,XXXX.com
> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/virtual_alias
>
> The relay domain reads
>
> xxx.com         ok
> xxx.com         ok
> 192.168.2.145   ok
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Darrell

From main.cf.....concerning the mydestination parameter

# Do not specify the names of domains that this machine is backup MX
# host for. Specify those names via the relay_domains settings for
# the SMTP server, or use permit_mx_backup if you are lazy (see
# STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README).

This really isn't a FreeBSD question, it's a postfix question.  Please
seek out further help from the appropriate postfix mailing lists.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel