Ruby Taking FOREVER to compile?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jul 19 19:09:37 UTC 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 11:56 AM, Chris Maness wrote:
> I am upgrading all of my ports on a slightly slower machine, and
> ruby+pthreads packge is taking what seems to be an unreasonably
> long time to compile.  Is it possible that it is stuck in a loop?
> It has been sitting on "Generating RI" for several hours.  It
> doesn't seem to take that long to build the whole base system.

For some reason, generating the Ruby docs requires a lot of RAM, and
will do poorly (ie, swap a lot) if the machine it is running on
doesn't have ~ 512MB or more RAM [1].  I believe you can do a "make
config" in the ruby ports dir and disable the creation of the Ruby
docs which ought to help....

--
-Chuck

[1]: I don't remember the exact #, but it's around there...