Can cron e-mail HTML?

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Jul 19 13:00:57 UTC 2007

On четвер 19 липень 2007, Tom Evans wrote:
= Teaching cron about file types/mime types is an awful idea

Why? My particular cron-job generates HTML. Somebody else's might generate a
JPG image -- from their telescope every morning. There is no reason for these
jobs to have to do the e-mailing on their own.

Cron has this functionality, it just needs to be improved to match the
modern-times expectations (MIME was introduced in the previous millennium.)

And if you are worried about "feature-creep", well, you should've objected
back when piping to sendmail was put into cron in the first place. After all,
ALL cron jobs (including the purely textual ones) could have explicit piping
into a mailer... If you don't mind cron generating the From: and the Subject:
headers, you should not mind it generating the Content-Type:.

= - sounds like something you'd find in gentoo.

And then I plan to add magick-handling to mail(1) -- to allow you to e-mail a
file with the properly-set Content-Type.

Yours,

	-mi