freebsd-update question

n j nino80 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:35:21 UTC 2007

> The cause for this confusion is the fact that patches 5 and 6 were for a
> userland utility (file) and a library (libarchive), not for the kernel.
> So for these patches, the kernel (which contains the release-level
> string) isn't rebuilt and so it isn't updated.
>
> 1) change the update mechanism to update the kernel(s) version string

Roland,

thank you very much for the information.

Digging a little deeper, I discovered two sysctl variables that
contain this information:

kern.osrelease: 6.2-RELEASE-p4
kern.version: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4 #0: Thu Apr 26 17:40:53 UTC 2007

And the sysctl(8) man page reveals:

Name                      Type    Changeable
kern.osrelease         string        no
kern.version             string        no

meaning that it is probably impossible to change these values without
indeed recompiling the kernel.

Regards,
--
Nino