Integrating Postfix + Amavisd-new + Clamav + DSpam + DBmail

Oliver Peter hoschi at mouhaha.de
Tue Jul 17 22:34:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:22:34AM +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
> Oliver Peter wrote:
> >On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:21:49PM +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
> >I would like to switch back to a filesystem based e-mail backend
> >(maybe dovecot) - feels better to me.  Furthermore I think that dbmail
> >has no good pgsql support (it has some bugs with IMAP) -
> >maybe you would like to try mysql instead (*hirgs*).
>
> I think that I may have to switch back to Mysql then. I heard that
> PostgreSQL is more scalable than Mysql. But I am not an experienced
> database user, so, please forgive my little knowledge.

Personally I prefer PostgreSQL.  It works great for me.
In my opinion MySQL is to Postgres like Linux to FreeBSD :)

Serious:
I had a little problem with dbmail and pgsql:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dbmail@dbmail.org/msg11640.html

I haven't tried the new version yet.

> Why do you want to switch back to to a filesystem based e-mail backend?
> I suppose storing emails in a database should be more scalable and
> flexible in the long run?

Since I'm the only active user of my dbmail setup it's too oversized
for this purpose.  I think I can live with a small filesystem based
postfix setup, too.
Of course it will be more flexible in the long run but I have only a
1,2ghz machine as my main mailserver - simply it is too slow.

> >If you would like I can show you my configuration files and table
> >structures.
>
> Of course, I would like to see your configuration files. In fact, I am
> dying to see it.

Hehe, no problem.  You will get them tomorrow.  Promised.

> I am planning my current setup to be used for a long term basis in a
> production environment for a very large user base.
>
> Me and my team are currently just designing and testing it out. It might
> take some time before we can put this server in production.
>
> Since I am very new to database terminology, how scalable is a database
> in terms of the data storage size. I mean suppose, we have 20000 users
> each with a quota of 1 GB. What will eventually happen if they all used
> up their quotas. That will be about 20 TB in size!!

w00t - as you can see I'm just a little sysadmin managing his very own
small mailserver.  I never thought about thousands of user - I never
thought about to have more than 10 user. Hehe.

Well, if you will have such a huge load Postgres would be the best
choice for you.  As far as -> I <- know it has better methods
regarding failover, master- and slaveserver and of course db clusters.

I think one main 'problem' with dbmail will be that if your db crashes
or stops working  EVERYTHING  is lost.  You don't have these problems
in this dimension with a filesystem based mailsystem.  Primarily you
will have to find a good backup/failover solution for your database -
regardless of what system you will use (pgsql, mysql, oracle,
mssql... SQLlite ...)

> Thanking you...

Let's see if my small setup will help you tomorrow.  I will get in
touch with you.

--
Oliver PETER, email: hoschi at mouhaha.de, ICQ# 113969174
"Worker bees can leave. Even drones can fly away. The Queen is their slave."