6.2-RELEASE-p6 panic on boot

Tamouh H. hakmi at rogers.com
Tue Jul 17 03:03:39 UTC 2007

> Hi!
>
> A machine of mine is panicking during cold boot on FreeBSD
> 6.2-RELEASE-p6. No kernel dump is available, as the panic
> occurs so early.
>
> My machine is an Athlon XP 2000+ on an ECS K7S5A-Pro (SIS735
> chipset) with 1GB PC3200 RAM.
>
> The root filesystem is a mirror on a 3Ware Escalade 8006-2LP
> SATA hardware RAID card.
>
> The panic only occurs when the machine is cold-booted (not on
> reboot) when acpi.ko is loaded.
>
> http://home.cyberleo.net/cyberleo/workspace/Zip/Bugs/fbsd-2007
> 0716-panic/boot-dump.log
>
> Any ideas what I can do to debug or correct this issue, or of
> a more appropriate group with which to communicate?
>
> Thanks!

The first thing I'd try is boot direct to the drive, without the RAID card. It seems from the dump it paniced after loading the 3ware drivers:

"RocketRAID 232x controller driver v1.02 (Jul 16 2007 17:38:56)
panic: pmap_mapdev: Couldn't alloc kernel virtual memory
cpuid = 0
KDB: enter: panic
[thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
Stopped at      kdb_enter+0x2b"

This would especially be true if the RAID Array is degraded or failed. But try it with the drives directly connected to the board.

Tamouh