make a symlink to a webpage?

jbarnet jackbarnett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 23:17:28 UTC 2007

Schiz0 wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Steve Franks <stevefranks at ieee.org> wrote:
>> I know this is browser-specific, so let's just say firefox - how do I
>> make a link to a page that I can execute directly?   This is not the
>> type of thing that's easy to google for.  I tried copying some of the
>> ".url" links from my win32 box and opening them with firefox, but that
>> was just wishful thinking...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>
> I'm not sure if you can, to be honest. (Although I may be wrong).
> Windows lets you do this because the .url extension is associated with
> your browser through the windows registry. Hardly any other operating
> systems have a registry type thing...(I don't even think mac has one).
>
> What you could do is make a shell script that executes your browser
> with a command line option with the URL. Check the docs for your
> browser, almost every browser lets you do this. Like "firefox
> -url=http://asdf.com" or something.

Probably depends on the desktop actually. If you have Gnome or KDE then
you should be able to do this, since it is very basic functionality of
any modern desktop.

I just looked at this in KDE: on your desktop, right click and goto
'new' and then goto 'location [url]' - type in the info and hit 'ok'.
I don't have the Gnome installed, but bet that the functionality is
there in one of the menus.