IBM HDs vanish on warm-boot?

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Mon Jul 16 22:51:40 UTC 2007

I just had this problem this week - drives are fine until you access
one and then disappears.

Checked my bios monitor page and 12V was only 11.8V.  Changing from a
300W to a 500W power supply magically fixed the problem...

I don't claim that this is necessarily your problem, but it caught me
off-guard and it's worth looking at.

Steve

On 7/16/07, Roger Olofsson <raggen at passagen.se> wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> I have 2 IBM HDs and one WD HD (ata) in an old pc and for some reason
> FBSD 6.2 can't find the IBMs on a warm-boot. Cold-boot is fine and, the
> WD is fine.
>
> The motherboard is an old Aopen AX34 and all settings are default except
> for ACPI that's off.
>
> The first thought that came to mind was that one of the IBMs are going
> bad, but, I find it very unlikely that both HDs are doing it. One is a
> 120 and one is an 80gigger but both 'vanish' on warm-boot.
>
> Some other setting in bios than ACPI?
>
> Grateful for any answer,
>
> /Roger

Steve Franks, KE7BTE