Sharing Outlook calendars via FreeBSD?

Tom Grove freebsd at voidmain.net
Mon Jul 16 13:28:44 UTC 2007

Nejc Skoberne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a FreeBSD 5.3 server in a company with approx. 30
> users. There is also a Samba server as a PDC and a mail server.
>
> The users would like to share their Outlook calendars. What
> are my options regarding having FreeBSD as a platform to do this?
> OpenGroupware is just for Linux and I can't find any
> documentation how to put it on FreeBSD (the linux-opengroupware
> port expired last year).
>
> Thanks,
> Nejc
You could try a couple of things...

First, you could evaluate some software like Communigate or Axigen but I
can tell you that, Communigate at least, is not a very good product.
Your best bet is to either try Axigen, which I haven't tested, or do
what I did...

Install WebDav on a FreeBSD server and use this Outlook plugin to
connect to webdav servers and save your files in ical format.

Outlook Plugin
http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotecalendars/

Before you flame back with, "it only works with Outlook 2003".  Trust
me, it's a small price to pay to not have to use some over-priced server
solution like Communigate or Scalix.

Just my 2 cents...

-Tom