cannot log in via console, cannot su(1), only as root

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Jul 13 22:27:54 UTC 2007

Hello Martin:

There are three things I would check.

1) When you ps auxww | grep sshd is it the system version in /sbin or is
it firing from /usr/local/sbin?
	a) If it's in /usr/local/sbin then the config file *may* be in
/usr/local/etc/sshd/sshd_config
2) Is your /etc/ttys configuration odd?
3) Is /etc/pam.d/sshd configured the way you would like?  Is it calling
odd or unexpected PAM modules?

Regards,

Mike