cron job every 5 hours

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Fri Jul 13 18:03:39 UTC 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007, Duane Hill wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 at 12:50 -0400, dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
confabulated:
> > Hello,
> >   I want to run an updater script, every 5 hours and x minutes. I
> > thought to use:
> >
> > minute 5 * * * root path/to/scriptname
>
> crontab(5):
>    Steps are also permitted after an asterisk, so if you want to
> say ``every two hours'', just use ``*/2''.
>
> So, my guess would be:
>
> minute */5 * * * root path/to/scriptname

Sort of, that would run the cronjob at midnight, 5am, 10am, 3pm, and
8pm so there would be one interval where it runs at 4 hours.

The real method if it's imparitive to run it every 5 hours would be to
set up a cronjob for each day of the week, rotating by one hour.

minute 0,5,10,15,20 * * 0
minute 1,6,11,16,21 * * 1
minute 2,7,12,17,22 * * 2
and so on and so forth