Mouse deamon problems.

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net
Thu Jul 12 04:22:25 UTC 2007

On Thu 12 Jul 2007 00:07, Desmond Chapman wrote:
> I am installing FreeBSD and it does not recognize the USB ports, the PS/2 port,  or even the mouse types: Intellimouse, Microsoft
> Mouse, Generic/Auto. How do I go about enabling the mouse daemon? And yes, I have tried the set up. It doesn't work. I have tried
> Xorgcfg and Xorgconfig. They don't work. Note: the mouse protocols will work for Linux distributions.

You first have to start moused, the default xorg configuration will
usually work after that.

For a PS/2 mouse:
moused -t auto -p /dev/psm0

For a USB mouse:
moused -t auto -p /dev/ums0

You probably want to start moused automatically when FreeBSD boots, add
this line to /etc/rc.conf:

For a PS/2 mouse
moused_enabled="yes"

For a USB mouse
moused_enabled="yes"
moused_port="/dev/ums0"

You may also want to take a look at the moused and/or ums manpages:
man 8 moused
man 4 ums