Question re reducing a file system in FreeBSD 6.2

irene.kelly at apn.co.nz irene.kelly at apn.co.nz
Thu Jul 12 02:58:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a question re reducing a filesystem in FreeBSD 6.2 - I am new to
FreeBSD - I am use to AIX

We have FreeBSD installed on a dell 1950 - I would like to reduce the size
of /usr   in case I want to added the space to another file system.
We currently have all our space allocated as follows.

Here is the set-up

$ df -h
Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/mfid0s1a    1.9G     59M    1.7G     3%    /
devfs            1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/mfid0s1d    1.9G     14K    1.8G     0%    /tmp
/dev/mfid0s1f     58G    3.2G     50G     6%    /usr
/dev/mfid0s1e    1.9G     58M    1.7G     3%    /var
$ mount
/dev/mfid0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/mfid0s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mfid0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mfid0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)

In AIX I can reduce the filesystem on the fly - however I don't think I
can do that with FreeBSD from what I have seen and I am not sure how this
would be done consdering it is /usr I would like to reduce.
I am currently looking at google to see what I can find.

Any Suggestions you have would be helpful.

Thank you &
Regards
Irene
NOTICE
This email and any attachments are confidential. They may contain privileged
information or copyright material. If you are not an intended recipient, you
should not read, copy, use or disclose the contents without authorisation and
we request you contact us at once by return email. Please then delete the
email and any attachments from your system.  We do not accept liability in
connection with computer viruses, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment. Any views expressed in this
email and any attachments do not necessarily reflect the views of the
company.