without SSL

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jul 11 18:59:47 UTC 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 10:22 AM, pj wrote:
> I can access apache from my windows machine: "It works"
> But I cannot access http://biggie:10000 - message says: try
> https://...
> that does bring up the Webmin page. I know apache listens on port
> 80, but why https to get the Webmin page?

Umm, so you don't send your Webmin password through the Internet in
plain text, rather than via SSL encryption.

Webmin uses it's own internal webserver, which is unrelated to Apache.

> I cannot access http or https://biggie:931 (Swat) "Unable to connect"

There's no real need to use swat when you've got the ability to edit
the samba config directly or via Webmin, but if you really wanted to,
you could presumably set it up to run in inetd.conf.  See "man swat".

> Is my configuration wrong for samba? What's with the ssl?

You haven't provided any specific information about your Samba
config, and most people aren't good at reading minds, so you'll need
to either do something like run Samba's "testparms" and/or look over
the Samba logfiles....

> I tried to reinstall (unsuccessfully -D NOSSL) apache22 without
> SSL. How can I disable the SSL I don't need SSL as I am using
> FBSD6.2 only on my local network.

Unless you've configured an SSL cert, the default ought to be to run
Apache without SSL...?

--
-Chuck