SiL S-ATA (Was: Installation woes with 6.2 release)

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Wed Jul 11 02:24:29 UTC 2007

Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> writes:
> [...]
> There are significant hardware defects with the SiliconImage 311x
> chips, which can mostly be worked around if you accept a loss of
> performance.  These workarounds are implemented in both Linux and the
> BSDs, but details are available here:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Silicon+Image+3112
> +bugs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
>
> ...gives results such as:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/SII3512-rev0---t3995350.html

Thanks for the reference! It was an interesting read, and it does calm
me down a bit, as it suggests the problem to be limited to chips with
rev <= 1, whereas all my cards are rev 2.

Well, if nothing else, it will be interesting to test my cards with
FreeBSD and see what happens. In the worst case, it won't be that hard
for me to switch to another card (just hoping that it won't cause any
data corruption). It will probably be a while before I get the drives
to connect to them, but I'll try to remember to post the results of my
testing.

Fredrik Tolf