X11 forwarding problems in FreeBSD 6.2 - no xauth data?

Federico Lorenzi florenzi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 23:37:11 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, Pollywog <lists-fbsd at shadypond.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007 14:41:01 Pollywog wrote:
>

> > I just did 'ssh' to one of the Linux hosts and when the connection was
> > made, I got this:
> >
> > Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
> >
> > Does this possibly have something to do with the problem I mentioned in my
> > initial post in this thread?  I am going to Google that error and see if I
> > can find something.
>
> I found out that "mcookie" generates magic cookies for xauth, but I do not
> have the mcookie command in FreeBSD, though it exists on my Debian Etch
> system and is part of the util-linux package.  If I can find mcookie or a
> command that is analogous to it in FreeBSD, I might be able to fix this
> problem:
>
> http://rocketcalc.com/bread.php?key=22
>From what I've read at http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/mcookie1.html:
       mcookie  generates a 128-bit random hexadecimal number for use with the
       X authority system.  Typical usage:
              xauth add :0 . 'mcookie'

Therefore, you should be able to use any random 128-bit hex number
instead of mcookie.
I'm not sure how secure it would be, but it should work just fine.

Cheers
Federico