Help! FreeBSD: 88.78 KBps, Linux: 624.95 KBps

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Tue Jul 10 18:35:49 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Thomas Sparrevohn wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007 17:02:46 Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
> > On 7/10/07, Kyrre Nygård <kyrreny at broadpark.no> wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > My friend is switching to Linux because FreeBSD is failing on
> > > him.
> > >
> > > When downloading a file from a FreeBSD box and a Linux box on
> > > the same network, the FreeBSD box got 88.78 KBps whereas the
> > > Linux got 624.95 Kbps. I have no idea what's wrong, but my man
> > > isn't really into good information design (e.g. taking
> > > something complex and making it easy), so his system is a mess.
> > > Maybe some of you can help me locate where the problem's at?
> > >
> > > Thanks guys,
> > > Kyrre
> >
> > Could you please show the uname -a info?
>
> It could be at his router does not understand the RFC1323
> extensions - try setting
>
> tcp_extensions="NO"
>
> In rc.conf

I think the first thing I would do is go back to a default
configuration.  Turn off pf, take out all of the sysctls and see what
happens.  Then start adding things in one at a time until you find
what breaks it.  It doesn't take much to do 625K/sec, the default
configuration is easily capable of 30 times that.  My guess is that
either one of the sysctl 'tunings' has broken something, or an
interaction between two or more of them has caused an unexpected
behavior, but that's an easy enough theory to test.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel