odd HP 1320 printer behaviour...

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Tue Jul 10 14:04:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:41:34 -0400
William Bulley <web at umich.edu> wrote:

> According to Nikola Lecic <nlecic at EUnet.yu>:
> >
> > Do you have any ulpt0 configuration in /etc/rc.local? If the printer
> > port is interrupt-driven, try polled standard mode, i.e. add
> >
> >   lptcontrol -p -d /dev/[printer-port]
> >
> > to your /etc/rc.local. The kind of behaviour you described can
> > occur in the interrupt mode (including cutting pages, printing them
> > in chunks, etc.).
> >
> > Also try to switch the printer to the parallel port; if both can
> > serve the printer, I'd always use the parallel one.
> >
> > If this doesn't help, please post here the content of
> > your /etc/printcap and 'dmesg | grep ulpt0'.
>
> I have no /etc/rc.local file on this machine.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't lptcontrol(8) deal
> with the parallel port printer?  I have USB connected.
> Parallel port connection is unfeasible in my situation.

Yes, of course, sorry; I badly mixed paragraphs of my reply, my answer
was intented to be a recommendation to switch to parallel port and then
to try polled mode.

> > "content of your /etc/printcap":
>
> lp|default|hp|HP|ps|PS|Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1320 PostScript
> Printer:\ :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>         :mx#0:

(Unrelated, do you have any special reason you don't have 'if'
configured?)

> > 'dmesg | grep ulpt0':
>
> ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1320 series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr
> 5, iclass 7/1 ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
> ulpt0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 5) disconnected
> ulpt0: detached
> ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1320 series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr
> 5, iclass 7/1 ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
> ulpt0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 5) disconnected
> ulpt0: detached
> ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1320 series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr
> 5, iclass 7/1 ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
> ulpt0: offline
> ulpt0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 5) disconnected
> ulpt0: detached
> ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1320 series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr
> 5, iclass 7/1 ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

Well, try parallel port if you can; that is the simple way I resolved
many painful printing problems in the past. I'd also try using
print/apsfilter to configure printcap. Then you should surely know if
it's a usb port issue.

Nikola Lečić